When you are at home trying to weather an emergency or an unexpected natural or man-made disaster, medical issues will surely come up. They may not happen immediately after the disaster but with every passing day, there is a good chance that somebody in your group will get injured, hurt themselves somehow, or come down with some medical condition.
Now it would be awesome if you can prepare adequately for these circumstances by having a well-stocked first-aid kit and pharmacy close by. Unfortunately, with emergencies, you know that stores run out of supplies very quickly, and in many cases, you just happen to be located very far from stores that would have the medication that you need.
What do you do in this situation? This is where Mother Nature comes in. Believe it or not, the vast majority of pharmacological tools and solutions come from Mother Nature. Either there was a medicinal plant that was extracted for our use or scientists discovered a compound and they learned how to make it in the lab.
However it is produced, we owe a lot of our drugs to Mother Nature. When you are in a situation where the grid has failed and you have no access to hospitals, medical staff, or even a pharmacy, it’s a good idea to be aware of the 20 plants with proven medicinal qualities.
We all know that Mother Nature is very powerful and ultimately everything that we need as far as our health is concerned is provided by nature in some form or other. Knowing this, herbal remedies and medicinal plants during times of emergency can do wonders especially when our normal sources for medical intervention and help are completely cut off.
Please understand that there are 20 key plants you need to be aware of because they treat the most common ailments and conditions that people are most susceptible to. Now, I wish I could list out all plants that will take care of all conditions but that’s impractical.
Instead, I have listed the 20 plants that cover the most common conditions people will face. On top of their medicinal and therapeutic effects, many of these plants can boost mental and physical health.
Believe me, when you’ve just suffered an emergency you need to get your spirits and emotional health boosted quickly. Thankfully, many of these plants are up to the job.
- Turmeric – it is used as herbal medicine and a supplement. This orange hued root crop that resembles ginger is known for cancer-prevention because of its anti-cancer properties. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve arthritis. It is rich in antioxidants and can be added to drinks and certain dishes.
- Gingko – used in chinese medicine mainly for brain health, it is known to be beneficial for diseases like dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety, and depression. It is also believed to help with diabetes, bone healing, inflammation and eye health.
- Evening Primrose Oil – it alleviates PMS symptoms and eczema with its anti-inflammatory properties. It is also known to help with PCOS, breast pain, MS, diabetic neuropathy and menopause.
- Tea Tree Oil – it is believed to be beneficial for treating skin conditions like acne, dandruff, insect bite and other skin conditions because of its antimicrobial properties.
- Flax Seed is known to have anti-inflammatory effects and contains antioxidants. It is known to help with obesity, inflammation, colon cancer prevention, and regulating blood pressure.
- Echinacea – has been used as medicine in juice, teas and extracts. It has been used for centuries, and now it can be taken as powders and powders. It is known to enhance immunity and can help with cold symptoms.
- Lavender is used to help with anxiety, stress, migraines, and it normalizes blood pressure. It can be used for aromatherapy and also treatment of inflammation.
- Grape Seed Extract -it is high in antioxidants, and it is known to have anti-cancer effects, lowers bad cholesterol, relieves edema, regulates blood pressure and promotes leg vein circulation.
- Chamomile – it is believed to have anti-cancer properties, also used to treat anxiety, stress and insomnia.
- Reishi Mushroom- it is known to help boost the immune system, lowers the blood pressure, fatigue, improves liver function and may help in preventing cancer.
- Dandelion- its benefits include lowering blood pressure, anti-inflammatory, controls blood sugar levels, boosts the immune system, it reduces cholesterol levels and can help in weight loss.
- Ginger – it is known to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, it treats chronic indigestion, lowers blood cholesterol levels, and it fights infections.
- Schisandra Berries – it is an effective treatment for hepatitis, it relieves stress and helps with concentration, intellect and attention, it also boosts energy levels and improves adrenal function.
- Sage- it contains high levels of flavonoids and phenolic acids and helps slow down skin aging, it sharpens the memory, it effective for prevention of Alzheimers, it has anti-inflammatory properties, helps with diabetes and it supports bone health.
- Cayenne Pepper – it helps boost the metabolism, clears nasal congestion, increases blood circulation, headache relief, sore throat and helps with nasal congestion.
- Thyme – has anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve arthritis, it lowers blood pressure, boosts immunity, cough suppressant, and helps with stomach ache and diarrhea.
- Alfalfa – it helps control cholesterol levels, aids in weight loss, promotes hair growth, prevents allergies, helps with depression, and lessens excessive bleeding.
- Blackberries- it increases the metabolism, boosts brain health, it helps rejuvenate the skin and helps in treatment of diabetes.
- Garlic- it helps prevent Alzheimer’s Disease, prevents hair loss, it helps boost immunity, and improves athletic performance.
- Globe Artichoke- it helps detoxify the liver, balances the intestinal microbiota and supports digestive movement, treats indigestion and treats diarrhea, constipation and flatulence.